“The society which has abolished every kind of adventure makes its own abolition the only possible adventure.” Paris, May 1968


Thursday 19 February 2009

Where do we go from here?

Sir Allen Stanford is proving to be even more of a wrong 'un then we at first suspected and already this whole sorry episode is turning out to be something far bigger than a case of the ECB being made fools of. The question everyone is asking is how many more of the great and the good are going to turn out to be cheap con men gambling away other peoples hard earned savings? 
We keep being told that we are in a recession but this is more than recession. The real nature of capitalism is being revealed on a daily basis. Truly the King is walking naked through the streets.
I take no comfort from any of this because I know that as the system goes into meltdown the people who will suffer the most will be those who can least afford to, and least deserve to. 
But for all of my misgivings I'm convinced that we are on the threshold of an opportunity to call everything into question. Perhaps the best opportunity since 1945. 
The message is clear- we can do better than this. But as to getting that message across.... well to be honest I'm buggered if I know how best to proceed.
  

1 comment:

Dave E said...

"I'm buggered if I know how best to proceed"

1. Well firstly don't hitch a ride when some wealthy scamming twat like Stanford waves his cheque book at you.

2. Repossess bankers' pay, benefits and bonuses.

3. Incarcerate the wealthy into de-richification camps.

4. Destroy government. I am quite happy to be represented, but I don't want to be governed.