“The society which has abolished every kind of adventure makes its own abolition the only possible adventure.” Paris, May 1968


Sunday 19 April 2009

In praise of Brockwell Park.

Despite the worst efforts of developers and local councils, we Londoners are lucky to be pretty  well off when it comes to parks and open spaces. I have always been a bit of a London Parks enthusiast. When I was doing the Capital Ring walk a couple of years back I discovered a number of parks and open spaces that I had never heard of but thought that by now I had visited all of the capitals major parks. So it came as a surprise to realize that I had never set foot in Brixton's Brockwell Park an omission that was put right yesterday. What a great park and being Saturday morning the place was being used to the full with dozens of football matches, community greenhouses, a cafe in the old Manor House, lovely walled garden, all clearly an asset to the community. I am sure that local residents will tell a different story regarding Lambeth Council and the contractors who run the park, but as an outsider wearing the usual rose tinted specs I was pretty impressed. I shall return.

No comments: