“The society which has abolished every kind of adventure makes its own abolition the only possible adventure.” Paris, May 1968


Friday 27 November 2009

JG Ballard.

Sci Fi is not really my cup of tea so I have never got around to reading any of the late JG Ballard's novels. Truth is that until recently I knew more about Ballard from the hero worship accorded him by the likes of Will Self and Iain Sinclair than from anything else but I have just completed the autobiography Miracles of Life and am completely smitten. In this wonderful book the writer comes across as being essentially a kind, modest man. A very ordinary man but one who led an extraordinary life and was gifted with an extraordinary imagination. Better minds than mine will judge JG Ballard's literary merit - I just wish that I could have been as good a dad.

No comments: