“The society which has abolished every kind of adventure makes its own abolition the only possible adventure.” Paris, May 1968


Thursday 29 May 2014

Still time for a ripping yarn or two.


"The age of exploration" was of course very much the age of exploitation of both indigenous people and natural resources. But that never stopped generations of kids thrilling to the exploits of the great explorers and dreaming of the adventures they themselves might have given half a chance. Eventually all the blank spaces on the maps became filled in and it seemed that there was little left to explore. For would be explorers and adventurers, the news that a hitherto unknown peat bog the size of England has just been discovered in Central Africa comes as a real tonic. No doubt we should all be pleased about the carbon sink benefits to the environment and suchlike worthy concerns but for me at least this huge area teeming with crocodiles, gorillas and elephants is straight out of a Tarzan story. Great stuff!

2 comments:

Dr Llareggub said...

Enjoy the vid. Perhaps my current work on the ethical wellfare of animals comes from those Tarzan movies I saw as a lad. Better than the phony Attenborough crap. The Tarzan cry which opens this vid we employed to call our youthful gang together for adventures. I recently tried to sound it in the fields with my dogs, but my ancient voice couldn't deliver the message.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66iGuR0oQsA

henry said...

Great link, thanks. Sparked a few tingles...

But... I, too, tried to do my old Tarzan cry - on the beach with a high tide + a strong wind blowing to lessen my embarrassment - and it was utter shit!

50 years on and no wild magic left. (But the wind and the full moon tide were very forgiving).