“The society which has abolished every kind of adventure makes its own abolition the only possible adventure.” Paris, May 1968


Sunday 11 May 2014

Tally Ho!

I have only once ridden a horse. It was at a not very well supervised 'dude ranch' type set up in France and was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life. For all of that I respect the skill of riding and the ability to control a strong and unpredictable animal. Riding to hounds, foxhunting, must be an exciting and satisfying activity and although I have never had the slightest desire to take part myself I can understand why others do and I reckon that the sight of a hunt in full gallop is quite something. There is no doubt about it, hunting on horseback is the preserve of the well off. But then so are a lot of things. I have met very few people of my political persuasion who approve of hunting and many comrades have been appalled that I don't share their condemnation of the hunt. I remain firmly out on a limb when it comes to hunting and just wish that a fraction of the energy spent defending foxes had been spent demanding the repeal of anti-working class legislation. Now we hear that pro-hunting lobby group Vote OK have promised to get the Tory vote out if Cameron will pledge to repeal anti-hunting law. That limb I'm perched on is getting close to breaking point.

1 comment:

Dr Llareggub said...

In my work concerning animal well being (not rights or welfare) I interact with some influential Tories within their party, called Conservatives against fox hunting. I don't know if they outnumber the pro-hunters, but it will be hard for Cameron to hold them both together.
More significantly, I have recently produced a lengthy paper on aesthetics and animal ethics, where I draw attention to the aesthetic appeal of fox hunting - and hunting in general - and what I am saying is that we need to give very careful consideration in drawing a line between ethical condemnation of hunting and aesthetic appreciation. If only the left, and anarchists would show an inclination to discuss this issue.